Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Cast Your Vote in the Edublog Awards by December 9th

On November 25th, I posted my nominations for the 2012 Edublog Awards. The nominations are now all in, the finalists have been named, and voting is open. You should go vote!

Why vote? Because the educators who are recognized by these nominations have given freely of their time and talent to share their thoughts and ideas and in some cases create tools which benefit the entire education community. A little recognition goes a long way toward encouraging these folks to continue to contribute, and I believe it can encourage those who are still lurking in the online world to move into more active participation. When the lurkers see that contributions are valued, they might just make the effort to begin sharing themselves. (Sidebar: No one should think they have "nothing" to share. What's obvious to you might just be amazing to others...)

How do I know the recognition given by being nominated is encouraging? Because for the first time ever, I received a nomination! [Note the nomination icon I am displaying in this blog post. :-) ] I didn't make the finalist list, but the fact that someone took the time to acknowledge that my blog has been a valuable resource to them fills me with a sense of accomplishment. Say what you will about writing just for the sake of writing or for the therapy of it, it's nice to know your efforts are appreciated by someone out there.

Another benefit of voting is you will probably be exposed to some new bloggers, tweeters, web tools, or apps you haven't come across before. The fact that someone recognized the nominees' contributions probably makes them worth a look.

Hopefully, I've encouraged you to take a few moments and cast your vote in the 2012 Edublog Awards. Give your colleagues a virtual pat on the back! Below are some links you'll find useful:

Congratulations to all of the nominees, and best wishes to the finalists. Here's to a high voter turnout!